Returning Organization Registration
For organizations that have been previously approved and registered with Student Activities during the Spring 2017 semester:
ALL organizations must register with Student Activities each long semester (fall and spring). Fall 2017 Registration opens on Friday, July 28, and closes on Friday, September 8. On or after July 28, organizations should update the profile within their organization's OrgSync portal, which must be subsequently approved by their UNT faculty/staff advisor, and send an officer (as indicated in its OrgSync profile) to Student Organization Orientation to become registered for Fall. Only when both of these are complete will an organization become registered for Fall.
Fall 2017 OrgSync profile submissions open July 28th. If you updated your organization's profile before July 28th, the profile submission will not count for Fall 2017 registration; you will need to re-submit the profile. Before logging in, you should obtain the following information: number of active members; UNT advisor (if it has changed) name, department, phone, and email; name, title, EUID (which replaced the Student ID number starting in Fall 2016), and email address of ALL officers, and copy of the organization’s constitution (if it has changed).
In order to update the profile, you will need to be an Administrator within the organization’s portal. If you are not an Administrator, please ask an existing Administrator (likely former officers, such as the President) to grant you Administrative privileges within the organization’s portal. If you cannot get in touch with previous officers, you may contact Student Activities for assistance.
Even if an organization’s information has not changed from one long semester to the next (Spring to Fall or Fall to Spring), the submission of the OrgSync profile is still required at the beginning of that long semester. The good news is that if nothing has changed, submission will be simple and quick because all previous information is retained.
Within a semester, after the initial OrgSync profile is submitted, if any changes occur within the organization (e.g., officer email address, change in an officer or advisor), an organization must submit the change via its OrgSync profile. Keeping an organization’s information constantly updated ensures that communication with and about the organization is directed to the appropriate person.
Student Organization Orientation
Orientation is required annually (for the academic year, fall to spring) for each organization. Organizations should send at least one officer (as indicated in its OrgSync profile). Advisors are encouraged, but not required, to attend.
Orientation topics include OrgSync basics training, along with campus policies, risk management and resources related to your organization. As seating is limited in each session, RSVP’s are required to ensure a seat. Click on the orientation date you would like to attend below, and it will take you directly to the RSVP on OrgSync.
- Thursday, July 27 from 1pm-2:30pm (BLB 055)
- Monday, July 31 from 3pm-4:30pm (BLB 055)
- Tuesday, August 1 from 10am-11:30am (BLB 055)
- Friday, August 4 from 3pm-4:30pm (BLB 055)
- Monday, August 7 from 9:30am-11am (BLB 055)
- Wednesday, August 9 from 1pm-2:30pm (BLB 055)
- Tuesday, August 15 from 11am-12:30pm (BLB 055)
- Thursday, August 17 from 1:30pm-3:00pm (BLB 055)
- Tuesday, August 22 from 11:30am-1pm (BLB 180)
- Friday, August 25 from 11am-12:30pm (BLB 055)
NOTE: Organizations in the College of Engineering Organizations (CEO), Office of Greek Life and Sport Clubs associated with the Sport Club Committee will earn credit for organization orientation through a specialized training session with their respective offices. For organizations associated with the Office of Greek Life and Sports Clubs specifically, that officer must be the President and/or Risk Manager. There is no RSVP required for these specialized orientations.
- College of Engineering Organizations (CEO) Orientation*
- Friday, August 25
- Greek Life Orientations*
- Tuesday, August 1 from 2pm-4pm (Greek Life Center)
- Friday, August 18 from 1pm-3pm (Greek Life Center)
- Wednesday, August 30 from 12pm-2pm (Greek Life Center)
- Sport Clubs*
- Thursday, August 31
*Additional information regarding these specialized training sessions, including time and location, will be directly communicated to these organizations.
Privileges of Registration
Registration with Student Activities has its privileges, as indicated in UNT Policy 07.019. Only registered student organizations are entitled to the following:
- Opportunity to hold meetings and other activities in university facilities at no cost or at a reduced rate established by the facility.
- Eligibility to apply for Eagle's Nest and Raupe Travel Grant funding from the Student Government Association for qualifying uses and to receive funds and access to resources provided by University departments.
- Opportunity to apply for storage space in the University Union.
- Opportunity to participate, as a student organization, in University-sponsored events (e.g., Homecoming, Mean Green Fling, Orientation).
- Opportunity to use the name of the University as part of its student organization name and use the University trademarks, logos, and other UNT works in conjunction with projects benefiting the university, with express permission and approval as provided for in UNT policy.
- Recognition in the online student organization database.
- Opportunity to co-program with University departments.
- Access to student organization web resources (including a free website through OrgSync) and electronic mail at no cost so long as the student organization acts in compliance with all applicable UNT computer use policies.
- Limited quantity of free copies from the Student Activities Center.
- Opportunity to use campus advertising mediums on a space-available basis to advertise organizational activities and membership, subject to University policy.
- Opportunity to set up free or low-cost banking on-campus.
- Opportunity to establish dues and sponsor fundraising projects.
- Ability to invite guest speakers to campus.
- Opportunity to grant awards and honors to members.
Organizations that partake in the privileges above without being registered with Student Activities may be in violation of University Policy and are subject, as individuals and organizations, to being held responsible according to the Code of Student Conduct.
Starting a New Organization
For newly forming organizations seeking initial approval, as well as dissolved organizations. Dissolved organizations (those that fail to register for two consecutive long semesters) will be treated as if they are newly forming and should follow the process below.
Are you interested in starting a new organization at UNT? All you will need is:
- At least 8 currently enrolled, UNT student members
- At least 2 officers
- A mission/purpose statement of the organization
- A constitution/bylaws (see sample on Resources tab)
- A full-time UNT faculty or staff member to serve as the organization’s advisor
For Fall 2017, Student Activities will accept applications for new organizations from September 8 until November 10. After November 10, applicants will have to wait until the Spring 2018 new organization approval period.
Starting September 8, if you are interested in starting a new organization, you will log in to OrgSync and complete the following steps.
- Locate the "Browse Organizations" button on the community homepage in OrgSync. This will bring you into the directory of organizations that are registered at UNT.
- Next, click the green "Register New Organization" button. This will require you to fill out basic organization information, as well as information about your officers and Advisor(s).
- Upload a copy of the organization's constitution/bylaws and member list (includes name, EUID, and birthdate).
- Sign up to attend a Student Organization Orientation (see above).
- Meet with the Student Organization Coordinator or Graduate Assistant.
After you complete all the above steps, your organization will be reviewed and determined if it will gain approval and registration.