Introducing the Sustainability Graduation Cord
Are you passionate about making the world more sustainable through volunteerism? Pursue the Sustainability Service cord! The Sustainability Service Cord can be worn at graduation to recognize the sustainable change that you have created during your UNT career
Each of the sustainability cords were hand-dyed by the UNT Fibers Collective. The cords are 100% natural cotton, chosen and harvested specifically for the UNT Office of Student Sustainability. The yellow base of the cords was created by immersing them in a dye bath of goldenrod, marigold, yarrow, and sunflower. Each cord was dipped in a natural indigo to achieve a dark green that fades to blue. The intricate creation process represents the goals of the UNT Student Sustainability Office.
We hope the cord is a point of green pride for those that receive it. The UNT Sustainability Graduation Cord is a sincere token of appreciation for the sustainable change that our UNT student leaders are working towards.
What Environmental Sustainability Projects Qualifies for a Cord?
The Sustainability Graduation Cord recognizes service that makes UNT and the Denton community more environmentally conscious and friendly. Environmental Sustainability at UNT and the wider Denton community involves litter clean ups, stream cleans, tree plantings, garden workdays, and other projects which improve our environment.
If you have a question whether your volunteerism qualifies, please email SustainabilityCord@unt.edu.
How Do I Get a Sustainability Graduation Cord?
- Step 1 – Register your interest in pursuing a cord HERE.
- Step 2 – Document your service every semester HERE. Spring 2018 service reporting is due April 20.
- Qualifications through May 2019
- 50 hours for all undergraduate and graduate students.
- Qualifications after May 2019
- 50 hours for transfer students and graduate students
- 100 hours for 4-year undergraduate students
Upcoming Service Opportunities
Keep Denton Beautiful
- Register your group for Great American Cleanup (until March 12)
- Garden Workdays on select Saturdays TBD
- Garden Workdays on Select Saturdays TBD. If interested please sign up at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9:00 am - 12: 00 pm
- This event will be held at the Denia Recreation Center. If interested, please sign up through email@example.com.
- April 9th -10th - Children’s Arbor Day
- 10 volunteers needed for 1 hr. blocks to give presentations to Denton Independent School District (DISD) schools between 8:00 am until 2:00 pm*
- Required orientation at the KDB Office from 1:30 to 4pm on Thursday, April 5th
- April 20th - Pre-event workday for Redbud Festival
- 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- April 21st - Redbud Festival
- 7:30 am until 5:00 pm
- 2 to 4 hour shifts available
Who can I volunteer with?
- Sustainable Denton
- Bike/ Walk Denton
- Watershed Protection - submit an email here with your volunteer interest
- Keep Denton Beautiful
- Pollinative Prairie Project
- UNT Grounds
- Bee Campus USA
- Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area (LLELA)
Ready to Inspire Environmental Sustainable Change? Sign Up Today
This is your opportunity to improve the quality of life through service on environmental sustainability projects at UNT and in our community.