Today, closing arguments are being presented in the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer responsible for the death of George Floyd last May. While I hope that George Floyd and his loved ones receive justice, no matter the verdict in this case, the work of racial justice must continue for our cities, our country and UNT.
Just in the past week, we have seen the death of 20-year-old Daunte Wright by police during a traffic stop and the released video of the death of 13-year-old Adam Toledo also at the hands of police. The toll this seemingly never-ending barrage of horror and injustice is taking on Black students, faculty and staff is immense. I want to reiterate the resources that President Smatresk shared in his message last week. Students can reach out to UNT’s Counseling and Testing Services at 940-565-2741 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Faculty and staff can access UNT System’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP), which offers free counseling (including same-day sessions if in crisis) to active and retired employees, as well as members of their household. The EAP can be accessed 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week by calling 1-800-343-3822. To access benefits online, visit https://www.awpnow.com and enter AWP-UNT-384 when prompted for a code. You can learn more about our EAP at https://hr.untsystem.edu/employee-assistance-program.
In the coming days and beyond, I ask you to support one another, learn from each other and value each other. All of which will help create a world with justice, respect and dignity for everyone.
Other notes I want to share with you this month.
Elizabeth With Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
- About Us
- Career Center
- Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Center for Leadership and Service
- Center for Student Affairs at Discovery Park
- Coliseum and Gateway Center
- Counseling and Testing Services
- Dean of Students
- Dining Services
- Emerald Eagle Scholars
- First Generation-Success Center
- Green Jackets
- High School Career Connect
- Housing and Residence Life
- North Texas in D.C.
- Off-Campus Student Services
- Office of Disability Access
- Orientation and Transition Programs
- RISE- Recovery & Intervention Support & Education
- Recreational Sports
- Spiritual Life
- Student Activities
- Student Health and Wellness Center
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- Student Legal Services
- Student Money Management Center
- Student Veteran Services
- TRIO Programs
- University Union
- UNT at Frisco
- We Mean Green Fund
- Programs & Services
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Log In