Press ESC to cancel and Enter to search
Show Navigation

Division of Student Affairs

Student Legal FAQs

What should I bring to my appointment?

Any documents you have relating to your issue will be helpful. If you are not able to find certain documents, or were not given certain documents, please notify the attorney during your consultation. It is often helpful to the attorneys if you prepare a timeline before you come to the office. This allows the attorney to determine the scope and time limitations of your legal problem during the consultation. Of course timelines are not necessary for all consultations, but if you think it would be helpful please prepare one.

back to top

Will Student Legal Services help me fight a traffic ticket?

While the Student Legal Services cannot represent students in criminal matters (including traffic tickets), students are invited to come during our walk-in times to get general legal advice or a referral to State Bar network of attorneys.

back to top

Will I be charged for any legal services I receive?

No, there is no charge from this office. If there are litigation costs associated with your case you will be asked to pay them.

back to top

Will an attorney prepare Wills for my spouse and me?

No, only one party can be represented in will preparation at our office. SLS will not prepare wills for spouses. A recent district court decision ruled against an attorney who prepared wills for both, but failed to notify the husband that his wife changed her mind at a later date. Due to problems that may arise from representing two people whose property and lives are intertwined, we will not risk any potential for conflicts of interest.

back to top

What services does Student Legal Services offer?

This office handles many different types of civil cases, especially landlord/tenant matters and consumer complaints. Please see the “Services” tab at the top of this page.

back to top

Are there any legal issues that Student Legal Services won’t be able to handle?

Student Legal Services cannot represent students in criminal matters, with legal complaints against the University or in cases involving student versus student disputes. Other types of cases this office does not handle include contested divorces, immigration matters and bankruptcy cases.

back to top

Where is Student Legal Services located?

Room 136, Stovall Hall. (See Contact Us)

back to top

What are your office hours?

Mondays through Fridays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (See Contact Us)

back to top

What if I don’t need advice, but want general information on a topic?

Outside Room 136, Stovall Hall, there is a collection of pamphlets covering many legal topics. There are also forms and pamphlets inside the office. All are free to students. If you still have questions, or do not understand the information given, feel free to call the office to schedule an appointment.

back to top