First Flight is UNT's official welcome program. This week is designed to help new students begin their college experience on the right foot. Every year we rely on the service of our amazing faculty and staff to make this program a success. Here are the great ways faculty and staff can get involved with First Flight.
First Flight Programs (Faculty and Staff)
Students will select 7 First Flight programs to attend throughout First Flight week. We need at least 400 programs to fill the following program categories:
- My Prep: Provide students with a sense of preparedness for their first year of college.
- My Life: Begin to build a sense of community.
- My Health and Wellness: Begin to formulate beneficial physical and mental lifelong habits.
- My Future: Begin to make plans for the future.
University 101 Facilitators (Faculty and Staff)
As a component of First Flight Week, all new freshmen will be required to participate in a University 101 session with their small group. We are currently seeking 100-180 faculty and staff volunteers to lead these sessions. Volunteers who have never facilitated a University 101 session will need to attend a 1 hour training session. Training sessions will be offered in person from April - August and online. University 101 Sessions are about 2 hours long and will be offered:
- Monday August 20: 9:00am - 11:00am
- Monday August 20: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- Tuesday August 21: 9:00am - 11:00am
Special Interest Session Presenters (Faculty)
Students are required to attend at least one Special Interest Session during First Flight. Special Interest Sessions are designed to give students an opportunity to meet a UNT faculty member, learn something “cool,” and get a sense for a large classroom lecture experience.