What is it?
Mindfulness is defined as a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations.
Mindfulness is often achieved through meditation practice. Meditation may or may not be spiritual.
Meditation is defined as engaging in thought or contemplation, or to reflect.
Check out this info-graphic from www.mindful.org on why to meditate (CLICK to enlarge):
How mindful are you?: http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/quizzes/take_quiz/4
- Take a Break!(iOS, Android): Take a break in your day with this guided meditation for stress relief
- Headspace (iOS, Android): Your very own mental trainer with 10 days of free meditation
- Lotus Bud Mindfulness Bell (iOS): Modeled after a practice in Buddhist monasteries, propel your mindfulness practice from the cushion into the world.
- Re-mindful (iOS): a daily random reminder to smile, breathe, stretch, trust, love, pause, listen, give thanks, have fun or feel the force!
- Smiling Mind (iOS, Android): modern meditation for young people
- Stop, breathe, & Think (iOS, Android): tool to guide people of all ages and backgrounds through meditations for mindfulness and compassion.
- Calm(iOS, Android): a simple mindfulness meditation app that brings clarity and peace of mind into your life.