NORTH TEXAS CHEER FAQs:
What does North Texas Cheer get to do?
- Perform at all UNT Football [Home] Games, Men’s and Women's Basketball [Home] Games.
- Travel to Football Conference and Bowl Games.
- Travel to Men’s and Women's Basketball Tournament Games.
- Travel to NCA College Nationals in Daytona Beach, FL.
- Entertain fans at various campus and off-campus events.
- Perform for Nationally Televised audiences.
- Lend time and talent at community service events.
- Perform at other professional sporting and corporate events.
- Receive extensive training in cheer technique.
- MAKE LIFETIME FRIENDS!
What are the tryout requirements?
- Must be accepted into the University of North Texas at the time of tryouts.
- You must be able to attend all practices, games, and other related activities throughout the entire season.
- All necessary documentation (insurance and academic paperwork) to participate.
Are there any height and weight requirements?
- We DO NOT have specific height and weight requirements. You should look well-proportioned in spandex and sports bra.
If I am currently a high school senior but will not graduate until June, can I still audition and be selected?
- Yes, as long as you are accepted into UNT by the tryout dates.
What should I wear to auditions?
- 2-piece attire:
- Top: bright color sports bra
- Bottom: solid black spandex
- Male Cheerleaders:
- Bright colored Short sleeve shirt
- Solid black shorts
- White Cheer shoes and white socks
- Bright colored cheer bow
Are prep clinics mandatory?
- Prep Clinics are non-mandatory. They are clinics offered to provide excellent preparation for our upcoming tryout. They are an inside look of what we expect at tryouts. You may attend one or all the clinics. At each clinic notes, will be taken of your performance which is taken into consideration at tryouts.
Can my family watch prep- clinics?
- Prep Clinics are open for family and friends. It is a great time for your parents to meet with Head Coach O’Neal.
How should I wear my hair and make-up?
- Make-up should complement your natural beauty with red lipstick. Hair should be worn half up-half down. It should be curled with a bow. Male Cheerleaders: Make sure that hair is neatly styled. A clean-cut look is required.
What is the tryout process?
- Tryouts are a multi-step process beginning with Application, Day 1 cuts, Personal Interview, and then Final cuts. All cheerleaders will be trying out for the program as a whole. After final cuts are made athletes will be announced with the official squad that they are on. (All-Girl or Coed). Following tryouts there will be a parent meeting and uniform fitting. Plan on spending the whole day for tryouts, parent meetings, and tryouts.
Are there certain cheer requirements that I must be able to perform at tryouts?
- All cheerleaders must be able to complete a standing back tuck.
May I try out if I have a tattoo?
- Yes, you may audition if you have a tattoo. Our policy is that even the smallest of tattoos may not be visible in the uniform or in practice attire. There are many effective products available at stores or online. Additionally, concealer, followed by setting powder, then bronzer to match color, can also be effective. Tattoos must be covered up.
Can my family watch auditions?
- All portions of our audition process will be closed to the public.
If I do not advance throughout the audition process will my application be kept on file?
- No. You must re-apply with a new application, required paperwork, and application processing fee each year.
If I am not selected as a North Texas Cheer squad member, may I call the UNT Student Activities office to receive my judges’ comments?
- No. Yet you can email email@example.com for feedback and/or critiques. Please allow a 3-4-week response time due to the high volume of emails with the new team processing.
When do practices begin?
- All practices mandatory and are held during weekday mornings. Classes must be scheduled around practices and workouts. FALL SEMESTER – Monday and Wednesday from 8:00 AM-11:00 AM; Morning Workouts held Tuesday and Thursday: Team is split up into 2 shifts 6 AM group and 7:30 AM. SPRING SEMESTER – Days and times for practices and workouts will be the same but we will also have Sunday Practices for Daytona Nationals 9 AM-Noon. *Team members will be given a schedule of practices at our new team meeting at the close of tryouts.
Are there any financial obligations for NTC squad members?
- There are no financial obligations. However, there are specific cosmetic items that team members will be required to purchase for the season. As well as team members, must participate in various fundraisers throughout the year to help fund program costs.
Are there any program benefits?
- Scholarship, Priority Class Registration, Reserved Housing in a Newer Residence Hall(s), Team Issued Nike Athletic Apparel and Uniforms, Team Travel (Football, Basketball, Performance, and Nationals), Strength & Conditioning, Team Nutritionist and Athletic Training, Sports Medicine are provided to each member of our program.
What type of time commitment is required if chosen as an NTC squad member?
- TOTAL COMMITMENT IS REQUIRED!!!!
- Community Service Events
- Tryout Clinics
- Team Bonding