What is a Non-Traditional Student?
The University of North Texas considers a non-traditional student to be an undergraduate who has two or more of the following characteristics:
- Is older than the perceived “traditional” college age
- Has returned to higher education after time away from initial enrollment
- Has enrolled in higher education after time away from secondary education
- Has dependents other than a spouse (usually children, family members, or others)
- Is a single parent (either not married, or married but separated and has dependents)
- Works at least 35 hours per week
- Commutes to campus
- Be sure to look at all of our Transportation Resources HERE!
- Is enrolled in 100% online or off-campus courses
The non-trad student population at UNT is as diverse as it gets. They are veterans, married couples, single parents, grandparents, distance learners, first time students and second chance opportunists. If you did not graduate high school in the last few years, chances are, you are a non-traditional student.
If you'd like to be alerted via email of upcoming events that benefit you as a non-traditional student.
- Send an email to: UNT-NonTradfirstname.lastname@example.org
Once you are subscribed, you will get a confirmation message to which you must respond to activate your subscription.
You can also sign up for text alerts here
Union of Non-Trad Students
Union of Non-Trad Students' members are non-traditional students who advocate for programs, resources, and access to services that can help all non-traditional students succeed academically, socially, and professionally. To become a part of this organization, sign up HERE.
Non-Traditional Student Representative
Coming to college for the first time, or returning after some time away, can be a very intimidating and scary idea for students. Trying to navigate the campus, knowing who to talk to about certain resources UNT provides, and getting into the groove of things in the classroom may seem stressful, and may take a bit of time for some. We have a Non-Traditional Student Representative to help you throughout your experience here at UNT, whether you’re new and adjusting to life at UNT or counting down the days until graduation. This person, who is also a fellow non-traditional student, is available to answer any questions you may have or confide in about any issues you might be facing as a non-traditional student at UNT. If you would like to speak with the Non-Trad Rep, please email them at NonTradRep@unt.edu or call (940) 565-3807.