Medical Insurance for International Students

Medical Insurance for UNT International Students

This section is solely for International Students of the University of North Texas. If you have questions or concerns about your insurance, please contact the Insurance Department at 940-369-5446.

2021-2022 Student Insurance Policy Information for International Students

Students participating in the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) can find information specific to them on the IELI UHSCR insurance flyer.

Students participating in the Optional Practical Training (OPT) programs can find information specific to them on the OPT UHSCR insurance flyer.

All other international students can find information specific to them on the International Student UHSCR insurance flyer.

The University's Responsibilities 

UNT must enforce the requirement that you have adequate health insurance coverage continuously during your UNT residence. UNT residence is defined as that continuous period from initial orientation and enrollment or employment, including holidays, through graduation or final separation from the university.

International Student Responsibilities

  • International students are required by the University to provide proof of adequate health insurance coverage each time they register for classes.
  • International students may waive out of the University endorsed student insurance policy in only three instances:
    • An international student has comparable employment insurance through a U.S. employer group policy.
    • An international student has comparable coverage through the employment of a parent or relative through a U.S. employer group policy.
    • An international student has a government sponsorship. *These waivers are processed in the Sponsored Student Office, Marquis Hall, room 106.

Students must also provide Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage, available as a separate policy through the University-endorsed insurance carrier, United Healthcare Student Resources.

A student reference guide for waiving or activating student insurance prior to the end of the enrollment period is available.

Waiver Instructions

Please note that insurance coverage is for a continuous period of time.  Should you graduate or separate from the University during that period of time, a refund will not be issued.

Insurance Activation

International students will automatically be enrolled for student insurance at the end of the waiver/enrollment period for each semester. However, students may need to use their insurance prior to that group activation date. Students can activate their insurance earlier by following the activation instructions.

Contact Us