Recommended Health Screenings
The following are important health examinations and screenings and the recommended schedules of when they should be done:
- Skin screening - Self check monthly for changing moles, freckles, for early skin cancer.
- Testicular self-exam - This should be done every month. Talk to your provider if you are concerned about results of self-exam.
- Blood pressure - Every year unless otherwise indicated by provider.
- STD screening - Men who are sexually active; should be checked for Syphilis, Chlamydia, rapid plasma reagin (RPR), and HIV every year, unless otherwise indicated by provider.
- Physical exam - Every 3 years, unless indicated by provider.
- Cholesterol screening - Every 5 years or as otherwise indicated by provider.
- Tetanus (Td) Booster - Every 10 years; unless otherwise indicated by provider.
- HPV (Gardasil) Vaccine - Recommended for 26 and younger; prevents 4 common HPV types; 2 that cause most genital warts and 2 that cause cancer. It protects against new HPV infections, it is not a cure for existing HPV infections or disease. The vaccine is available at the SHWC and is a series of 3 injections. It is most effective when the second dose is given a month after the first dose and the third dose six months after the second dose.
- Dental Cleanings and Exams - Go once or twice a month for an exam and cleaning. Your dentist will evaluate if you need more frequent visits.
- Eye Exam - Have an eye exam every two years if you have vision problems. If you have diabetes, you should visit every year.
- Breast self-exam- This should be done every month. Talk to your provider if you are concerned about results of self-exam.
STI Package (Cost $68)
This test package includes testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, and syphilis. Students without symptoms can walk-in for this testing package. If a patient is experiencing symptoms of an STI, they are encouraged to make an appointment with a provider to determine the best testing options.