A Bailey Loan is a short-term, needs based loan that enables students to remain enrolled. Loan amounts vary reflecting the needs-based assistance requested by each applicant. Only Denton campus students are eligible to apply for a loan.
The maximum level of consideration a student may apply for is $1,000 during the Fall and Spring Semesters and $500 for Summer semesters. A $45 origination fee is applied to the loan. Repayment of a loan and fee is the responsibility of the student and is required by the student to repay as defined by the terms stated in the signed promissory note. Application and loan processing dates vary with each semester. Students can only apply for one Bailey Loan per academic year. Students become ineligible to apply to any other SMMC loan program for the remainder of the academic year with the acceptance of a Bailey Loan.
Accounts will be considered late one (1) day past the repayment date stated in the signed promissory note and assessed a $25 late penalty charge. An account will be considered in default and assessed an additional $25 default penalty charge thirty-one (31) days past the repayment date as stated in the signed promissory note.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a UNT Denton campus student
- Must be enrolled in the current semester
- Must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA*
- Must show the ability to repay the loan and processing fee by the scheduled repayment date
- Student must be enrolled at time of application
*Special exception granted to first-semester students.
- Fall & Spring semesters - $1,000
- Summer semester - $500
Fall 2017 - November 3, 2017
Terms and Conditions
- Students may apply for one (1) loan per academic year.
- $1,000 is the maximum level of consideration for a loan in Fall and Spring semesters and $500 in Summer semesters.
- Once a Bailey Loan is disbursed, student is not eligible to apply to any other Student Money Management Center loans for the remainder of the academic year.
- A Bailey Loan cannot be used for parking fees, citations, or library fines.
- Additional categories of expenses that may not be eligible for a Bailey Loan are at the discretion of the loan program staff.
- A signed promissory note is required to be on file before loan will be disbursed.
- 3 to 5 business days are required to process a loan from application to disbursement.
- Accounts in late status (one day past the due date) will be assessed a $25 late penalty charge.
- Should a loan become late the applicant is ineligible to apply to any of the SMMC loan programs for twelve months following date of repayment.
- Accounts in default status (thirty-one days past the due date) will be sent to a collections agency and assessed an additional $25 default penalty charge; the student's credit will be negatively impacted by these actions.
- Processing fee for the loan will not be repaid by federally-funded financial aid.
- Transcript and registration blocks will be applied to default accounts.
- Student becomes ineligible to apply to any other SMMC loan program for the remainder of the academic year with the acceptance of a Bailey Loan.
Applications are accepted only in the Student Money Management Center:
University of North Texas
Chestnut Hall 313