Please Note: The Boots-to-Books loan application process requires veterans or their eligible dependent students to first meet with a SMMC loan program team member before gaining access to the application.
A Boots-to-Books (B2B) Loan is a short-term, needs-based loan disbursed as a line of credit with the Barnes & Noble Bookstore located on campus that enables student veterans or benefits-eligible dependents to purchase needed textbooks or course materials. Loan amounts vary reflecting the needs-based assistance requested by each applicant. Only Denton campus students are eligible to apply for a loan. The maximum level of support a student may apply for during the fall and spring semesters is $500. There is no interest or origination fee associated with this loan. Repayment of a loan and interest is the responsibility of the student and is required by the student to repay as defined by the terms stated in the promissory note. Application and loan processing dates vary with each semester. Students are limited to 1 loan per semester.
Accounts will be considered late one (1) day past the repayment date stated in the signed promissory note and assessed an additional $25. An account will be considered default and assessed an additional $25 penalty fee thirty-one (31) days past the repayment date stated in the signed promissory note.
- Must be a UNT Denton campus student
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be classified as a student veteran or benefits-eligible dependent
- Must be enrolled in the current semester
- Must not have any financial obligations to the university
- Must show the ability to repay the loan
- Loan must be for textbooks or course materials only
- Must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative UNT GPA*
- Student must be enrolled at time of application
*Special exception granted to first-semester students.
- Fall & Spring semesters - $500
- Summer semester - $197
Fall 2017 - November 3, 2017
Terms and Conditions
- Students may apply for one (1) loan per semester
- $500 is the maximum level of support for Fall and Spring semesters
- $197 is the maximum level of support for the Summer semesters
- A Boots-to-Books Loan can only be used to purchase needed textbooks or course materials from the Barnes & Noble Bookstore located on campus
- A signed promissory note is required to be on file before disbursement of loan occurs
- Accounts in late status (one day past the due date) will be assessed an additional $25 penalty fee; the student's credit will be negatively impacted by these actions
- Accounts in default status (thirty-one days past the due date) will be sent to a collections agency and assessed an additional $25 penalty fee; the student's credit will be negatively impacted by these actions
- Transcript and registration blocks will be applied to late and default accounts
- Registration block will be applied to late default accounts
Applications are accepted only in the Student Money Management Center:
University of North Texas
Chestnut Hall, Suite 313