The TSI & Accuplacer Exam
Summary of Exam
The TSI assessment is required in the State of Texas it is a college entrance exam. The exam has two sections (English Language Arts and Reading, and math) that can be taken together or separately.
- The pre-assessment activity is required before taking the TSI. You must sign up and create an account with Accuplacer. Some practice questions will be available. Please take this time to practice and prepare for the exam. A certificate will be available at the end. https://practice.accuplacer.org/login
Sign Up For The TSI Or Accuplacer
Remote Proctoring Instructions
TSI tests are able to be administered both in person at our testing center as well as remotely using Zoom. In order for us to maintain the integrity of the exam while proctoring remotely, the following guidelines must be followed, failure to do so will result in your test being canceled without a refund.
Examinity and the UNT Testing Center are not affiliated at all. If you pay the fee with Examinity you must test with them NOT us. We are not responsible for any refunds through Examinity.
Prior to your testing appointment complete the Mandatory Pre-Assessment:
- Complete the TSI pre-assessment found here. Make sure you have the certificate from the Accuplacer pre-assessment ready to show your proctor at your appointment time. The PAA is only an exercise to be completed and will not be scored. Students are required to take the PAA on their own, either at home or at school; students should spend less than 30 minutes on the PAA.
- Upon completion of the PAA, the student will receive an emailed proof of completion certificate and will be eligible to register for TSIA2. IMPORTANT: All testers taking the PAA should not use a high school email or parent's email. Please be sure to use a personal email, or UNT email that you, the student, have easy access to. Students should bring a copy of the PAA certificate of completion with them to the scheduled testing appointment as either a physical copy or a digital copy that can be shown using a phone in addition to uploading the PAA certificate within the exam registration.
How to access the Pre-Assessment:
- To access the PAA students must create an account for the Practice app if one has not been previously created. The link for this is located above.
- After successfully logging in, the student will select TSIA2-PAA to access the PAA.
- The student will click "Next" to confirm and be taken to a new screen where they will select "Begin Pre-Assessment Activity."
- Step 1: Students will select their institution - Students testing for UNT, including Dual Credit testing administered by UNT, will need to select the University of North Texas as their institution."
- Step 2: Importance of the PAA -This section gives the student information about the purpose of the test, its importance, how it's designed, and how long it can take.
- Step 3: Sample Tests - Students must complete 10 sample questions for ELAR and Math. Students will have access to accessibility tools and calculator/highlighter tools as they would be in the standard testing environment come test day.
- Step 4: Developmental Education Options - High school complete students will receive a brief overview of the DE course interventions. All students will receive information regarding retest options.
- Step 5: Institutional and Community Resources and Tips for Success
Remote TSI Rules:
- Download Zoom onto the computer you will be using to take your exam (you must connect to the meeting using the Zoom application, not the browser version of Zoom).
- Check to see if Zoom is set up correctly by clicking here.
- A working webcam, headphones, speaker, and fast-running internet. You must use a computer to take the TSI remotely, not a phone, or iPad.
- Check to see if your computer can run Accuplacer by clicking here.
When it is time for your appointment:
- Sit in a quiet place where you will be undisturbed while testing.
- Clear a workspace for your monitor, mouse, keyboard, blank scratch paper, and pencil. All other items must be removed from your table/desk.
- Use of a personal calculator is NOT allowed as the exam has a built-in calculator.
- Be sure to have your photo ID ready. You will need to show it to your proctor.
- Have the Zoom link ready if it's remote from home.
- If it's in person make sure you arrive on time and have an ID ready.
You must bring a valid, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, state identification card, or passport. We also accept student IDs.
If you have a request for accommodations, please let us know at least one week in advance so we can arrange them accordingly. All accommodations must be approved and on file with the Office of Disability Access in order for your TSI to be taken with the requested accommodations. Some accommodations may require your TSI appointment to be in person as the remote proctored option does not allow us to administer the exam with accommodations in certain circumstances. Please reach out to our office if you have any additional questions about accommodations for the TSI.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will need to contact your school or institution to find out if you are required to take the TSI Assessment. If you are a UNT student, contact the TSI Advising Office at 940.565.3633
- What do I do with my scores after I take the TSI?
You will receive your scores immediately after completing the assessment. UNT students will need to send their scores to the TSI Advising Office at TSI@unt.edu, or you may upload them to you MyUNT account. If your scores are for another school or university, you will receive a copy of your scores in a sealed envelope that you will be able to send.
- How can I retrieve my scores if I've already taken the TSI?
Click here to request your TSI scores from Accuplacer. You will need to fill in the requested information on this page and Accuplacer will send your scores to the email that was entered on your test day. You will need to use the institution where you took the exam when requesting your scores ("University of North Texas" if it was with our office).
Parking information including instructions on how to pay for parking can be found here.
You will need to bring proper identification (see above) and a good attitude! A small snack or water is also encouraged. We will have everything else you will need to take the test.
The TSI and Accuplacer exams are untimed but plan on having about 2 hours for each section of the exam.
- Where will I store my personal belongings during the test?
You will be provided a secure locker for your personal belongings before testing begins.