Scrappy's Storm Drain Artscape Competition
The competition has been postponed till the Fall 2020 semester!
Submit your entry form and design by TBD for a chance to have your artwork chosen and the opportunity to leave your mark on campus! Winning artists/teams will receive one Mean Green Zero Waste Kit from the We Mean Green Fund including a reusable straw, reusable water bottle, bento box, and a reusable tote bag.
WHAT: The We Mean Green Fund is seeking student art submissions for the Scrappy’s Storm Drain Artscape Competition on campus that was first held in 2018 to bring awareness to cigarette litter on campus and was supported by the UNT Smoking Committee. Winning designs will be selected based on their ability to convey a clear educational message about water pollution prevention, illustrate UNT school spirit, and creatively express the connection litter has to our drinking sources using local landmarks and/or native North Texas plant and animal species.
WHO: Current UNT student artists
WHEN: The deadline for submissions is TBD.
WHERE: The three storm drain mural locations are at 1) the Union Circle, 2) the intersection of Mulberry Street and Avenue A, and 3) the Science Research Building
WHY: Murals will be installed to beautify campus with student artwork and raise awareness about water pollution prevention. This project also helps UNT achieve MS4 compliance and educate the community in highly trafficked areas.
Helpful tips for submitting
- Before you begin, please read the full set of guidelines above and make sure your design fulfills all the requirements once complete.
- Submissions are more likely to be chosen if the artist includes local landmarks and if your design includes plants and animals, make sure they are native to North Texas.
- Artists must submit their design using the provided templates below and no part of the design can extend outside the set boundaries of those templates.
- Need some inspiration? Check out these photos from the Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area or read more about watershed protection and stormwater issues in Denton!
- Submissions must include an educational message about water pollution prevention and convey UNT school spirit.
How to get started
- Read the guidelines in the slideshow above or in .pdf form here and choose which template(s) you would like to submit.
- Once you've created your design(s), submit the entry form below. The templates for each site can be downloaded using the green buttons below. Remember, if you wish to submit more than one design, you must submit an entry form for each design.
Mulberry St. Ave A Template Union Circle Template Science Research Building Template
Winners will be notified by TBD, so keep a lookout for an email from us!
Have a question about the competition? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.