Texas Education Code 54.006 (f) indicates, "Beginning with the summer semester of 1990, if a student withdraws from an institution of higher education because the student is called to active military service, the institution, at the student's option, shall:

  1. Refund the tuition and fees paid by the student for the semester in which the student withdraws;
  2. Grant a student, who is eligible under the institution's guidelines, an incomplete grade in all courses by designating 'withdrawn-military' on the student's transcript; or
  3. As determined by the instructor, assign an appropriate final grade or credit to a student who has satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of course work and who has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material."

In order to be eligible for options under this law, a UNT student must produce a copy of his or her orders. Withdrawal may or may not require that the student talk with each instructor depending on timing in the semester; however, the latter two options do require that the student talk with his or her instructors and come to a decision as to which solution is best for each class given timing and circumstances. A student called to active duty may consider the following options:

  1. Withdrawal with a full refund of appropriate tuition/fees;
  2. Incomplete grades with the one-year I (Incomplete) removal time limit starting with the end of active duty; and/or
  3.  A final grade if the course is essentially over and the course material has been sufficiently mastered (determined by the instructor).

You do not have to navigate this process alone! The Dean of Students office can assist all students called to active duty or on orders for drill. The Dean of Students can reach out to faculty on your behalf should you need us to. Please contact us at DeanofStudents@unt.edu or at (940) 565-2648.