Who We Are
The Student Government Association is the official voice of the student body at the University of North Texas. As an organization, we are committed to making each student’s opinions and concerns heard in the administration. The Student Government Association is comprised of an Executive Branch, Student Senate, Supreme Court, House of Representatives, and the Freshman Interns. Together, these factions work with students across the University and administration to make our campus better for everyone.
What We Do
The Student Government Association is a multi-purpose organization that can grant funding to students for conferences or programming, promote other student organization’s programs, as well as host University wide events. Please take a moment to explore our website to learn more information about our executive board, senators, and the different ways that SGA can benefit you, the student. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns, or come by our office in Stovall Hall 170 to meet with us in person.
The University of North Texas Student Government Association, much like our country's branches of government, is composed of three main branches: the Executive Branch, the Legislative Branch, and the Judicial Branch. Together these three branches work to represent the student body here at the University of North Texas.
- The Executive Branch is comprised of eight (8) executive board members: Student Body President, Student Body Vice President, Chief of Staff, Chief Officer of Equity and Diversity, Director of Marketing, Director of Student Affairs, Director of Communications, and the Director of Leadership and Development. The executive powers of the Association are vested in this branch.
- The Freshman Intern Program is the Ultimate Leadership Experience. A selective group of about 30 first year freshman students work together to learn communication skills, get access to limited networking opportunities with university administrators and staff. These students will be trained in essential skills about leadership that will build and prepare them to be the principal influences on campus.
- The UNT SGA Equity and Diversity Coalition Committee is a committee Chaired by Chief Officer of Equity and Diversity, Hanna Bagheri. This committee focuses on ensuring Equity and Diversity are at the forefront of University processes as it relates to Student Life.
- The UNT SGA Sexual Assault Committee is part of a joint task force with the UNT Dean of Student Office. Director of Student Affairs, Shelbie Sumter chairs the involvement of the Association with the Task Force.
- The UNT SGA Greek Life Committee is chaired by Director of Communications, Aaron Presley. This committee is comprised of representatives from Greek Letter organizations.
- The Student Senate is a body of fourty five (45) made up of representatives from each of the colleges. The seats are porportioanl to the student population of that particular college. The Student Senate is the legislative body of the Association.
- The House of Representatives is a body of 40 made up of representatives of registered student organizations. The ten registered student organization categories may have four (4) Representatives in the House. This body has vested within it the checks and balance system of the Association, and power to sponsor legislation on behalf of student organizations to the Student Senate. *
* The House of Representatives will only take effect if the referendum on September 22 passes. Click here for more info.
- The Judicial Branch is made up of our Supreme Court, and the Advocate General. This bramcj deals with hearing regarding the UNT SGA Governing Documents. Additionally, branch handles code of codunct referals made by members of UNT SGA against members of the House and Senate.
These branches work hard to represent the diverse student population through important legislation, referendums, and forums. We strive to get students involved and informed in UNT events and organizations.