Green Jackets history dates back to 1926. The Green Jackets were founded by Buelah Harriss, the first woman to be hired into the athletics department of what was then North Texas State Normal College. Ms. Harriss founded the Green Jackets as a service and spirit organization, and she served as the faculty advisor for four decades.
For over 90 years, the Green Jackets have shown strong leadership skills both on and off campus. They have a true passion for service toward UNT and its community, are outstanding students in the classroom, and constantly serve as role models for their peers.
During the 2016-2017 academic year, the Green Jackets earned a cumulative GPA of 3.4 and completed a total of 1,329 hours of service.
What a Green Jacket Does
- Assists the Vice President of Student Affairs at University events.
- Serves as a guide for visiting notables.
- Assists with campus forums and events.
- Help make the campus more welcoming for students and guests.
Green Jackets Photo Gallery
Become a Green Jacket:
Applications will come out in the Spring of 2019!
Requirements to Apply:
- Carry at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Complete at least 30 credit hours by the end of Spring 2018.
- Be able to serve for at least 2 long semesters, but ideally through graduation.
- Be in good standing with the University.
- Be a strong supporter of the spirit and values of UNT.
- Demonstrate Service, Leadership, and Scholarship while at UNT.
Request a Green Jacket
If your department would like the Green Jackets to assist with your campus event (ushering, passing out programs, greeting, etc.) please do not hesitate to contact Brittany Landau or click the Green Jacket Request link.
Coordinator of Special Projects
President, Green Jackets