Student Legal Services offers a wide variety of legal guidance. The goal of this office is to counsel, advise, and represent University of North Texas students. Student Legal Services may write letters, draft legal documents, represent students, or otherwise attempt to resolve legal problems. While general advice may be available, Student Legal Services does not represent students in criminal matters (including traffic tickets).
Many types of cases are handled through this office, such as the following:
- Security Deposit
- Debt Collection
- Unpaid Wages
- Dispute Resolution
- Cellular Phone Billing
- Divorce (no children, no property)
- Domestic Violence
- Landlord Tenant Issues
- Wrongful Termination
- Lemon Law
- Towing Problems
- Auto Accidents
- Deceptive Trade Practices
- Sexual Harassment
- Consumer Complaints
- Name Changes
- Expunctions (Conditional)
This list represents a sampling of the legal services available. If students require help that Student Legal Services cannot provide we refer them to the State Bar referral network.
PLEASE NOTE: Our office cannot advise on issues involving the University of North Texas or other University of North Texas students. If your issue falls into one of these categories, feel free to contact our office for a referral sheet that can direct you to an office on or off campus that may be able to help you resolve your situation.
Attorney Keisha Ware
1155 Union Circle #305058
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Physical Location: Union 411
Phone: (940) 565-2614
Fax: (940) 369-7251
TTY: (940) 369-8652
The fastest way to meet with the attorney is to come to our Open Legal Clinic on Wednesdays. Open Legal Clinic hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and then from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. every Wednesday. No need to schedule an appointment - just stop by!
Upcoming Clinic Time Modifications, Clinic Cancelations and Office Closures:
- Wednesday, May 10th: Open Legal Clinic will start at 10:30 a.m. and run until 3:30 p.m. (excluding the noon lunch hour.)
- Wednesday, May 24th: Open Legal Clinic will run from 8:30 until 11am. Afternoon clinic will not be held.
- Monday, May 29th: Please note that our office will be closed for Memorial Day.
- Wednesday, June 21st: Open Legal Clinic will be not be held.
Open Legal Clinic hours can sometimes change with little notice. We recommend calling the office on the day that you plan to stop by for the clinic if you are traveling a far distance.
If you cannot make it to the open legal clinic due to class or work, an appointment can be scheduled instead. Please note that the wait for non-open legal clinic appointments can sometimes be a week or longer. Please call the office at 940.565.2614 if you wish to schedule an appointment.
If you need immediate assistance, we suggest contacting the Lawyer Referral Information Service for the State Bar of Texas. Through this service, you can receive a 30 minute consultation for just $20.00. If you and the attorney agree to keep working after the first 30 minutes, their rates will apply. You can reach this service by calling 800.252.9690 or you can get a referral online by visiting www.texasbar.com/LRIS.
- Monday, May 1st: Meet & Ask questions of the Attorney from 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the UNT Frisco Campus.
Forms to Start With
- Use the Application for Student Legal Services if you have a pending appointment. This will save you some time if you fill out our application before you arrive. Also please read over our Welcome to Our Office letter prior to completing the application.
- Have you visited our office for legal assistance? If so, please download and complete our Student Legal Services Satisfaction Survey (pdf).
Below are links to fillable self-help packets created by UNT Student Legal Services to empower you in resolving certain legal situations. Each packet has instructions and forms that can be filled out in Adobe PDF format, then printed and filed with the court or the appropriate agencies. While these forms are meant to aid you in resolving your own issue, we encourage you to make an appointment with the attorney in our office before proceeding.
This web page has been prepared for use by University of North Texas students only. These downloadable forms and explanations have been provided as a convenience for students and do not constitute legal advice. Before using these sample letters or forms, it is highly recommended that you visit Student Legal Services (The Union, Room 411) for more complete information contained in our free pamphlets. In addition, students with legal dilemmas are encouraged to schedule an appointment with our licensed Texas attorney who can provide appropriate legal advice.