Looking for our policies?

Flowers next to unt welcome center
Sexual Misconduct
The University of North Texas is committed to providing a safe environment for all community members. Please see our page on reporting sexual violence for more information. We are here to help. For more information please click below.

Student at the library mall next to arch
File A Report/Referral
 In the link below you can refer a student for assistance regarding any complex personal and academic issues; file a CARE Team referral; refer a student for alleged misconduct, including sexual misconduct; apply for Parenting and Pregnancy accommodations; or Academic Integrity violations.
Group of Students walking past the eagle logo on glass
UNT is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of the university community and prohibits hazing by any student, student group, or employee.



Staff Spotlight


Victoria Schofield Posing For A Headshot Photo

Victoria Schofield

Assistant Director of Dean of Students
“Aside from working with students, the DOS Intervention Team is a really incredible team to be part of; it’s full of smart, engaged, compassionate people. We have one of the best team leaders in the whole division, and this team not only deeply cares about the UNT community but we care about one another, which makes this work accessible.”




I had to miss class because of a religious Holy Day, Is this an excusable absence?

It is up to the individual student to discuss with their professors prior to the religious Holy Day about missing class for that purpose. At the beginning of each semester, I would discuss with your professors the religious Holy Day that may interfere with your class attendance and make arrangements accordingly.

I was sick and I missed class. My professor wants a note from the Dean of Students Office.

Students are expected to attend classes regularly and to abide by the attendance policy established by the professor. However, the university is aware that there will be times when a student is unable to attend class due to emergency situations, health, or the death of a loved one. The Dean of Students Office is also available to assist you with documenting your absence. Students must provide the Dean of Students with official and verifiable documentation related to the reason for absence. Once the absences have been verified the decision to allow a student to make up course work is left to the discretion of the professor and or the department.

I had to miss class because there was a death in the family and my professor has asked me to contact the Dean of Students Office for an absence verification note. What do I need to do?

You will need to come to the Dean of Students Office in the University Union, Suite 409 with documentation. We accept the obituary from the newspaper (with student’s name listed as a relative), a letter from the funeral home on their letterhead, or a program from the funeral service which would list the student’s name as a relative. After you bring this documentation to our office and talk with one of our staff members we can proceed with sending a notification to your professors that verify this absence.

I have a family emergency and had to go home and miss class. Who should I contact for an excuse?

Please stop by the Dean of Students Office in the University Union, Suite 409 for assistance.

How will I know about weather related school closings?

The best way to receive this information as soon as the decision to close the university is made is by being registered with your most updated information (phone numbers and emails) in the UNT Eagle Alert system. You can register your information at my.unt.edu.

My problem seems very complex and confusing and involves so many different offices on campus. I have no idea where to start the process. What should I do?

The Dean of Students Office is here to help! We can help you navigate through the proper procedures. Please stop by our office or send an email to deanofstudents@unt.edu

Where can I go to lodge a complaint or share a concern I have about an issue at the University?

There are a few places you can go… First, if it is an issue concerning another student’s behavior with you, please stop by the Dean of Students Office in the University Union, Suite 409. The Dean of Students Office upholds the Code of Student Conduct and is responsible for holding students accountable for their behavior. Second, if it is an academic related issue (faculty member, grading, etc) please go to the Department Chairperson of that academic department. Each academic unit has policies and procedures in regards to grievances. Third, if you feel as if you are being discriminated against please stop by the Office of Equal Opportunity in the Hurley Administration Building 175. If you don’t know who to go to in regards to your complaint, please contact the Dean of Students Office at Deanofstudents@unt.edu and we will help you with the issue or point you in the right direction.

How do I withdraw for medical or mental health issues?

If a student must withdraw due to medical reasons, prior to the withdrawal deadline as indicated in the academic calendar, a student may do so through the regular withdrawal process. If a student is incapacitated or unable to make the request on their own, please contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance at 940-565-3633 For details regarding the withdrawal process, go to https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/dean-of-students/policies/withdrawals

I have been referred to the Dean of Students Office for conduct. What will happen?

You will receive a notice of complaint to the mailing address listed in the UNT system (or residence hall) instructing you to make an appointment with a Dean of Students Representative. It is important that you follow-up with this request, make an appointment and keep it. Ignoring the situation will not make it go away. In fact, ignoring the request is a violation of the Code of Student Conduct and could result in a misconduct penalty or sanction (including a block on registration and/or suspension).

I have been accused of cheating on a paper by one of my professors. What will happen?

Issues of academic integrity (cheating, plagiarism, etc) are handled through the office of Academic Integrity under the Provost Office. Please contact the office of Academic Integrity academic.integrity@unt.edu and/or visit the Academic Integrity website for more information.

I am feeling homesick, depressed, anxious, nervous and upset. Where can I go?

UNT has their very own Counseling and Testing Services which provides free counseling for students. You can call to make an appointment at http://www.unt.edu/cat. You can also stop by the Dean of Students Office and we can help get you connected to the right resources for you!

Who can I talk to if I have a concern about my student?

The Dean of Students Office 940-565-2648 is able to provide general information, connect with your student and see how we can help. If we are not the appropriate office to help you we will point you in the right direction.

Where can I find information about crime on campus?

The personal safety and security of every member of the university community is of paramount concern to all at the University of North Texas. In keeping with this concern, each year the university publishes a report informing the campus about programs and services to enhance campus security, crime statistics and student disciplinary referrals for certain crime-related conduct. Visit this report

I think my student is missing. I have not heard from him/ her in three days. Who can I contact for help?

You can contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance at 940-565-2648 or the UNT Police Department at 940-565-300. The Dean of Students will look in to every avenue to help you find your student (check class schedule, residence halls, etc)

My student received a letter stating they are facing university disciplinary action. How can I find out what is happening?

A good place to start is by having a conversation with your student. The Dean of Students' policy is to communicate directly with students on all disciplinary matters. There may be times such out of concern for a student’s whereabouts or if we believe a student may be in crisis we may contact the parents directly. You can find out more information in regards to the disciplinary processhttps://studentaffairs.unt.edu/dean-of-students/conduct

To whom should I report a death of a currently enrolled or past UNT student?

If a death of a student occurs, the Dean of Students Office needs to be contacted immediately for the necessary departments to be notified. The office number is 940-565-2648 or by emailing us at Deanofstudents@unt.edu The Dean of Students provides assistance to the student’s family, roommates, and friends.