More than 1,200 UNT students, faculty, staff and alumni participated in The Big Event, a nationally recognized day of service celebrated by the UNT community and organized by the Center for Leadership and Service. This year’s Big Event was held on March 24, and participants completed an average of 3,600 hours of service for the day.
The Big Event started with a Breakfast and Kick-off on the Onstead Promenade, followed by remarks from the UNT president and administration. This year’s theme was The Greatest Service Day on Earth. Volunteers assisted with everything from yard work such as cleaning landscapes and gardening to sorting donations, painting walls and power washing.
Volunteer work sites included:
- Ann Windle School for Young Children
- Aunt Sue’s Barn
- Cumberland Presbyterian Children’s
- Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club
- Daydream Farms
- Denton County Friends of the Family
- Denton Public Library - Emily Fowler Central Library
- The Family Place
- Fred Moore Day Nursery School, Inc.
- Good Samaritan Society-Denton Village
- Goodwill Dallas
- Harpool Middle School
- Keep Corinth Beautiful
- Keep Denton Beautiful, Inc.
- Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area
- Newton Rayzor Elementary
- Rise Against Hunger
- The Salvation Army Denton
- SCRAP Denton
- Shiloh Field
- Town of Hickory Creek
- UNT Grounds Department
- Woman to Woman - Twice As Nice Resale
“I am so proud to have received the opportunity to work with this program for the last three years and see the UNT community give themselves so unselfishly to help others,” said Valeria Pimentel, Big Event executive director. “From member to director to executive director, I am very proud of the work that was completed this year and look forward to the program’s future success.”
Thank you to all who volunteered and made the day such a huge success!
View more photos from The Big Event here.
Photos by Ross Ocampo
Visit DSA News for the latest happenings and successes in the Division of Student Affairs.
Contact: Ray Willhoft, 940-565-2464, email@example.com