Returning Organization Registration
For organizations that have been previously approved and registered with Student Activities during the Fall 2018 semester:
ALL organizations must register with Student Activities each long semester (fall and spring). Spring 2019 Registration opens on Monday, November 26, and closes on Friday, January 25. On or after November 26, the Primary Contact or President for the organization should update the profile for the organization in OrgSync (by clicking the blue "Re-Register" button) to become registered for Spring.
On November 26, you will be able to update your organization's OrgSync profile by navigating to your organization's portal and clicking the blue "Re-Register" button. Before logging in, you should obtain the following information: number of active members; UNT advisor name, department, phone, and email; name, title, EUID, and email address of ALL officers, and copy of the organization’s constitution. Step-by-step instructions for completing the profile in the new OrgSync platform can be found here. We encourage you to have this document pulled up while you navigate through the profile.
In order to update the profile, you will need to be the Primary Contact or President within the organization’s portal. If you are not listed as the Primary Contact or President for the organization you are trying to register, please ask them to assign you that role. If you cannot get in touch with them, you may contact Student Activities for assistance. For additional information about assigning the Primary Contact role, click here.
Within a semester, after the initial OrgSync profile is submitted for registration, if any changes occur within the organization (e.g., officer email address, change in an officer or advisor), an organization must submit the change via its OrgSync profile. Keeping an organization’s information constantly updated ensures that communication with and about the organization is directed to the appropriate person.
Student Organization Orientation
Orientation is required annually (for the academic year, fall to spring) for each organization. Organizations should send at least one officer (as indicated in its OrgSync profile). Advisors are encouraged, but not required, to attend.
*If your organization was approved and registered with Student Activities during the Fall 2018 semester, you do not need to attend Student Organization Orientation in Spring 2019.
Orientation topics include OrgSync basics training, along with campus policies, risk management and resources related to your organization. As seating is limited in each session, RSVP’s are required to ensure a seat. Click on the orientation date you would like to attend below, and it will take you directly to the RSVP on OrgSync.
- Spring 2019 Dates/Times TBA in early January!
NOTE: Organizations at Discovery Park, in the Office of Greek Life, and Sport Clubs associated with the Sport Club Committee will earn credit for organization orientation through a specialized training session with their respective offices each Fall semester. For organizations associated with the Office of Greek Life and Sports Clubs specifically, that officer must be the President and/or Risk Manager. There is no RSVP required for these specialized orientations.
*Additional information regarding these specialized training sessions, including time and location, will be directly communicated to these organizations prior to each Fall semester.
Privileges of Registration
Registration with Student Activities has its privileges, as indicated in UNT Policy 07.019. Only registered student organizations are entitled to the following:
- Opportunity to hold meetings and other activities in university facilities at no cost or at a reduced rate established by the facility.
- Eligibility to apply for Eagle's Nest and Raupe Travel Grant funding from the Student Government Association for qualifying uses and to receive funds and access to resources provided by University departments.
- Opportunity to apply for storage space in the University Union.
- Opportunity to participate, as a student organization, in University-sponsored events (e.g., Homecoming, Mean Green Fling, Orientation).
- Opportunity to use the name of the University as part of its student organization name and use the University trademarks, logos, and other UNT works in conjunction with projects benefiting the university, with express permission and approval as provided for in UNT policy.
- Recognition in the online student organization database.
- Opportunity to co-program with University departments.
- Limited quantity of free copies from Student Activities.
- Opportunity to use campus advertising mediums on a space-available basis to advertise organizational activities and membership, subject to University policy.
- Opportunity to set up free or low-cost banking on-campus.
- Opportunity to establish dues and sponsor fundraising projects.
- Ability to invite guest speakers to campus.
- Opportunity to grant awards and honors to members.
Organizations that partake in the privileges above without being registered with Student Activities may be in violation of University Policy and are subject, as individuals and organizations, to being held responsible according to the Code of Student Conduct.
Starting a New Organization
For newly forming organizations seeking initial approval, as well as dissolved organizations. Dissolved organizations (those that fail to register for two consecutive long semesters) will be treated as if they are newly forming and should follow the process below.
Are you interested in starting a new organization at UNT? All you will need is:
- At least 8 currently enrolled, UNT student members
- At least 2 officers
- A mission/purpose statement of the organization
- A constitution/bylaws (see sample on Resources tab)
- A full-time UNT faculty or staff member to serve as the organization’s advisor
For Spring 2019, Student Activities will accept applications for new organizations from January 28 until April 5. After April 5, applicants will have to wait until the Fall 2019 new organization approval period.
Starting January 28, if you are interested in starting a new organization, you will log in to OrgSync and complete the following steps.
- On the community homepage in OrgSync, select Organizations. This will bring you into the directory of organizations that are registered at UNT.
- Next, click the "Register an Organzation" button. You'll then select the blue "Register a New Organization" button. This will require you to fill out basic organization information, as well as information about your officers and advisor(s).
- Upload a copy of the organization's constitution/bylaws and add at least 8 currently enrolled, UNT student members (2 of which are officers) and your full-time UNT faculty/staff advisor to the roster.
- See Sample Constitution/Bylaws for guidance.
- Sign up to attend a Student Organization Orientation (see above).
- Meet with the Student Organization Coordinator or Graduate Assistant.
After you complete all the above steps, your organization will be reviewed and determined if it will gain approval and registration.