What is Sexual Violence?

Sexual violence refers to physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person's will or where a person is incapable of giving consent due to use of drugs/alcohol or an intellectual disability.Sexual violence can occur between friends, classmates, spouses, romantic interests, acquaintances, or strangers.
Examples of sexual violence include:

  • rape
  • sexual assault
  • sexual battery
  • sexual coercion

Dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking are also serious offenses. Please see deanofstudents.unt.edu for additional information on these issues.

UNT Survivor Advocate

The UNT Survivor Advocate's role is to connect students impacted by violence to resources (counseling, health, safety, academic, legal, etc.), and to act as their advocate. The Survivor Advocate can assist a student by contacting instructors for absences related to an assault, working with Housing to facilitate a room change, filing protective orders, completing crime victim's compensation applications, and connecting students to the many other resources that are available, both on and off campus. The Survivor Advocate can be reached by emailing SurvivorAdvocate@unt.edu or calling the Dean of Students Office at 940-565-2648. Please remember if this happens to you, you are NOT alone. Consider seeking out appropriate support. We are here to help.

A survivor of sexual violence will have a wide range of emotions following an incident. It is important to utilize available resources or refer someone you know who has been assaulted to receive necessary care and begin to process the events. Going to a hospital immediately following the incident provides survivors with urgent care as well as an opportunity for valuable evidence collection.

What should I do if I have been assaulted?

The primary concern for survivors of sexual violence is safety and to address medical issues related to injury, sexually transmitted infections, and/or pregnancy. The secondary concern is evidence collection to aid in a possible investigation.

  • Get to a safe place immediately. Go to your apartment/home, residence hall, or the residence of a trusted friend. Do not change your clothing or shower in order to preserve physical evidence. If you change your clothes, it is important that they are kept in a paper bag. Do not apply medication to any injuries that have been sustained unless absolutely necessary. Do not drink or chew gum, or disturb anything in the area where the assault occurred.
  • Get medical attention as soon as possible. Once you are in a safe place, medical attention at the local hospital is important to address medical issues related to the assault, and to preserve valuable evidence should you decide to seek prosecution through the criminal justice system. It is important to know if you go to the hospital, the police may be contacted.
  • Seek free, confidential counseling at the Counseling and Testing Center. Call 940-565-2741. Help is available for the person assaulted and for UNT students helping a survivor of sexual assault. Other free local counseling resources are available.
  • Utilize campus resources. The Survivor Advocate may be able to assist with changes in academic or living arrangements if reasonable accommodations are available.

What if I was under the influence of drugs/alcohol at the time of the sexual assault?

Use of alcohol or drugs impacts an individual's ability to consent to a sexual act and DOES NOT put the person at blame. A student who is assaulted while under the influence is encouraged to seek help and entitled to university and community assistance. UNT will not initiate disciplinary action for alcohol/drug use when reporting sexual violence.

How friends, family & staff/faculty can help

  1. Say something. Lend a listening ear. Show that you care and are willing to listen. Do not force the issue but allow the individual to confide in you at his/her own pace. Never blame the person for what is happening or underestimate his/her fear of potential danger. Focus on supporting the individual's right to make his/her own decision.
  2. Guide survivors to resources. Let him/her know they are not alone and people are available to help. Encourage him/her to seek assistance from the UNT Survivor Advocate.
  3. Never judge survivors. Tell the person you are sorry they have been hurt. No matter his/her behavior prior to the assault, they are NOT responsible-- the perpetrator is. No one deserves to be assaulted.
  4. Remind survivors that their feelings are normal. They may feel "crazy." Assure survivors they are not "crazy" and any feeling or reaction is normal.
  5. Validate a survivor's feelings. Continue to do so even if they feel everything is terrible and even if you feel frustrated with their recovery.
  6. Focus on his/her strengths. The individual may believe there is something wrong with him/her. Give him/her emotional support and help in recognizing personal strengths and skills. Emphasize that he/she deserves a life that is free from violence.
  7. Find your own support. You cannot support someone else if you are not supported. However, do not try to receive that support from the survivor.
  8. Get trained. For train ing opportunities on assisting survivors of violence, email SurvivorAdvocate@unt.edu.

Reporting Sexual Violence

University Reporting Dean of Students Office, 940-565-2648 deanofstudents@unt.edu

Students may report to the Dean of Students Office, who will begin an investigation upon request. If the aggressor was a student, staff will investigate possible violations of the Code of Student Conduct. The Dean of Students may also be able to issue no contact orders or remove the other student from UNT if the student puts the university community at immediate risk.

Title IX Coordinator, 940-565-2759
You may contact the Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equity and Diversity (Hurley 210) who will begin an investigation upon request and will assume responsibility for your ongoing opportunities at UNT.

UNT Police Department, 940-565-3000

Individuals may file a police report at the Sullivant Public Safety Center for assaults occurring on-campus, or with local police for assaults occurring off-campus. When making a report to police, individuals may choose to report using a pseudonym so your name will not appear in public files.

Non-University Reporting
*In cases of emergency, always call 911*

Denton Police Department Non-Emergency:

601 E. Hickory Street
Denton, TX 76205

Dallas Police Department Non-Emergency:

1400 S. Lamar Street
Dallas, TX 75215

Ft. Worth Police Department Victim Assistance:

350 W. Belknap Street
Ft. Worth, TX 76102

University Investigations

Students, staff, and faculty are strongly encouraged to report all crimes. Reporting can help protect the survivor's safety, ensure the individual receives proper medical care, support services, and information regarding options and rights. It can also help prevent future assaults.

What is the process for investigation of a complaint of sexual assault?

If you file a report with the Dean of Students or the Title IX Coordinator, you will be contacted by an office representative to schedule a meeting to collect the information related to the incident. The purpose of the initial meeting will also be to assure that you have access to all necessary resources and that there will be no impact on your opportunity to participate in your educational program. You should be prepared to address any changes to your university living arrangements or academic program that may be appropriate based on the circumstances. Once you have filed a complaint, you will be updated regularly regarding the status and outcomes of the investigation. You should expect to receive an equal opportunity for participating in the investigation and any subsequent proceedings as the individual who is the subject of the complaint. For more information, please visit  /dean-of-students.

What should I do if I witnessed a crime of sexual assault?

If you are a witness to a crime of sexual violence, you should report the incident to campus or local police. You may also speak with the Dean of Students who can assist you with further reporting. You are not at fault and in no way responsible for the violence you experienced. We are here to help.

Campus Resources

Counseling & Testing Center 940-565-2741
Help is available to UNT students who have been sexually assaulted, or for students who have helped a survivor of sexual assault.

Dean of Students Office 940-565-2648
Besides being a resource for reporting, the Dean of Students Office may be able to assist with changes in academic or university living arrangements in reasonable accommodations are available.

Health & Wellness Center 940-565-2333
The UNT Health & Wellness Center can provide medical care for students impacted by sexual violence, including STD testing, HIV testing, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, and referral to other resources. During non-business hours, please go to a local hospital's emergency room.

UNT Legal Services 940-565-2614
Student Legal Services can provide students with legal advice, assistance, representation, and education.

Medical Resources: Each of these hospitals offers a Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE) program.

Denton Regional Medical Center
3535 S. Interstate 35E Denton, TX 76210

Baylor Medical Center at Carrollton
4343 N. Josey Lane Carrollton, TX 75010

John Peter Smith Hospital
1500 S. Main Street Ft. Worth TX 76104

Texas Health Presbyterian-Dallas Safe Suite
8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas, TX 75231

Community Counseling Services

Denton County Friends of the Family

4845 S. I-35E, Suite 200 Corinth, TX 76210

The Women's Center of Tarrant County (Ft. Worth)
Crisis line: 817-972-2737

Turning Point Rape Crisis Center (Plano)
Crisis line: 800-866-7273

Brighter Tomorrows (Dallas)
Crisis line: 972-262-8383