Psychiatric Services

We provide courteous and professional specialized treatment from the SHWC's two Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners (PNPs), Dorothy Ntende and Delia Sandoval. 

Psychiatric Services Provided

Psychiatric services include:

  • Psychiatric evaluations, including diagnosis of anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and other mental illnesses, and evaluation of the efficacy of treatment plans

  • Prescribing of medications and medication management for mental illnesses

  • Comprehensive treatment plans based on individual patient needs

  • Coordination of care and consultation with other professionals

Please note that psychiatric services have additional charges.

Counseling services are available to enrolled UNT students through Counseling and Testing Services (CTS). Substance use resources are available to UNT students through Recovery and Intervention Support and Education (RISE).

How do I access psychiatric services?

A student can self-refer or be referred by an SHWC medical provider, a psychologist from CTS, UNT TAMS, UNT Psychology Clinic, Dean of Students Care Team, or from an outside psychiatrist. Please call (940) 565-2333 or the Psychiatric Nurse at (940) 369-7612 for additional questions regarding self-referral. Upon completion of the referral process, patients will be scheduled an appointment for an initial evaluation. 

If you have a stable and well-controlled mental health condition, including ADD/ADHD, and are currently receiving medication from a provider at home we encourage you to continue your treatment with that provider.

All services are provided through the SHWC

How do I transfer my psychiatric care to SHWC?

To transfer your care, please have your current provider send treatment records.  Once records are received and reviewed, we will contact you to schedule an appointment if your needs match the services that the SHWC is able to provide.

Am I guaranteed to see a psychiatric provider?

Being evaluated by a psychiatric provider does NOT ensure continued services beyond the initial evaluation period. The evaluation process helps determine if your specific condition/concern falls within the scope of care we are able to provide. If a student would benefit from a level or type of treatment that SHWC cannot provide, we will work with the student to refer to a more appropriate off-campus provider.

What should I expect?

  1. Fees: If you have insurance, we will charge you your insurance co-pay or co-insurance for your visit. If you do not have insurance, we discount the office visit to $50 for an initial evaluation and $35 for follow-up appointments. 

    1. Expect more follow-up appointments at the start of treatment as medication regimens may require frequent adjustments to optimize treatment.

  2. Medical Records: Current and past psychiatric records may be requested to manage medications from previous providers before an initial evaluation is scheduled. The release of information will be discussed during the referral process or when the initial appointment is scheduled.

    1. We recommend patients bring any currently prescribed medication to initial appointments.

  3. Time Management:

    1. Arrive 30 minutes before the initial appointment to complete forms/questionnaires. Arrive 15 minutes before follow-up appointments.

    2. Initial appointments are approximately 45 minutes, with a focus on gathering thorough background information to guide the assessment and medication treatment recommendations.

    3. Our PNPs may ask many questions about your general health, family history, and social history. 

  4. ADD/ADHD: SHWC does not diagnose ADD/ADHD. See the ADD/ADHD page for more information.

  5. Controlled Substances: Prescriptions for medications classified as controlled substances (e.g., Adderall or Xanax) are only prescribed as indicated and have various restrictions.

  6. Therapy: Psychiatric services are not therapy-focused; however, sensitive information may be discussed, and the psychiatric provider may recommend you see another health professional, such as a psychologist, to discuss various forms of therapy that work in conjunction with medication.

How do I get approval for my service or comfort animal? Will the SHWC provide a letter of support for service or emotional support animal?

Students wishing to request an accommodation for a service or comfort animal must submit paperwork with the Office of Disability Access. The SHWC does not provide letters or complete forms to qualify students for service or comfort animals.

How do I request a refill for my psychiatric medication?

Students currently seeing one of the PNPs can call the Psychiatric Nurse at (940) 369-7612 for a refill request. Please note, some medications may require an appointment before a prescription can be written.  If a student is not currently seeing an SHWC provider, they should contact their current provider for a prescription refill request.

Can I see a psychiatrist at the SHWC?

The SHWC does not currently have a psychiatrist on staff.  Two full-time Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners are available to UNT students with the capacity to diagnose and treat common acute psychiatric problems and illnesses with psychopharmacologic management. In addition, the SHWC can provide a list of local psychiatrists in the Denton area.


UNT Mental Health Emergency Contacts:  
Counseling and Testing Services (940) 565-2741
Other Mental Health Emergency Contacts:  
Denton County MHMR Crisis Line: 1 (800) 762-0157
Denton County Friends of the Family (Family Violence Shelter): Crisis: (940) 382-7273
Non-Crisis: (940) 387-5131
National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: 988 (Call or Text)
National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline Online Chat: