Student Health and Wellness Center has worked diligently for months to be an approved administrator of COVID-19 vaccines. The State of Texas Department of Health and Human Services allocates vaccines to approved sites on a weekly basis. The Student Health and Wellness Center received its first allotment of the vaccine on Tuesday, March 23, 2021, and started vaccinating eligible UNT students, faculty, and staff on Wednesday, March 24, 2021.
To help with national vaccinations efforts, UNT has joined the White House and U. S. Department of Education COVID-19 College Vaccine Challenge. In July 2021, UNT launched a vaccine incentive program for students, faculty, and staff. That program ended in early September 2021.
Starting May 16, 2022, the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) will return to pre-COVID-19 operations. This means the SHWC will only serve students and will no longer offer COVID testing, vaccines, or boosters for faculty and staff. Students can call (940) 565-2333 to schedule an appointment for a COVID vaccination or booster. UNT faculty and staff, and UNT System employees will need to talk to their primary care provider or local pharmacy for COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters.
COVID-19 Vaccination Appointments (First and Second Doses)
The Student Health and Wellness Center offers COVID-19 vaccine appointments on a limited basis. Starting March 29, 2022, first and second doses of COVID-19 vaccine will be by appointment only at the Student Health and Wellness Center Clinic on the second floor of Chestnut Hall. This change is to minimize the waste of the COVID vaccine. There is no out-of-pocket cost for COVID vaccinations, but we will file to your health insurance for reimbursement.
COVID-19 vaccination appointments are available on a limited basis to UNT students. Vaccine availability will be determined by the vaccine allocated by the State of Texas. UNT students who received their first dose of the COVID vaccine elsewhere can receive their second dose from the Health Center but will need to provide proof of their first vaccination, including the date of initial vaccination and the manufacturer of the vaccine they received.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shots
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced COVID-19 vaccine booster shot recommendations for certain populations who received a COVID vaccine series. Booster shots are recommended for individuals 12 years and older.
- Individuals 12 years to 17 years should receive a Pfizer booster at least 5 months after the Pfizer vaccine series
- Individuals 18 years and older should receive a booster
- at least 5 months after Moderna or Pfizer vaccine series
- at least 2 months after Johnson and Johnson vaccine
- Individuals 50 years and older can receive a second booster dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) 4 months after their first booster dose.
- Individuals 12 years and older who were vaccinated outside of the United States, can get a booster 5 months after completing one of the following criteria
- all recommended doses of the World Health Organization emergency use listing (WHO-EUL) COVID-19 vaccine not approved or authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) OR
- mix and match series composed of any combination of FDA-approved, FDA-authorized, or WHO-EUL COVID-19 vaccines
If you want to sign up for a COVID booster shot, you can read more at our COVID Booster Shot page.
Things To Bring To Your Vaccination Appointment
1. Government-issued photo ID
2. Insurance Card (if you have medical insurance)
3. Smartphone or another internet-capable mobile device
4. COVID vaccination card showing doses already received (at Health Center or elsewhere)
Frequently asked questions
Who can register for COVID vaccines at the Health Center?
Enrolled UNT students and employees of the UNT Denton campus and the UNT System are eligible for vaccines at the Student Health and Wellness Center through May 13, 2022. Starting May 16, 2022, the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) will return to pre-COVID-19 operations. This means the SHWC will only serve students and will no longer offer COVID testing, vaccines, or boosters for faculty and staff. Students can call (940) 565-2333 to schedule an appointment for a COVID vaccination or booster. UNT faculty and staff, and UNT System employees will need to talk to their primary care provider or local pharmacy for COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters.
Former employees (including retirees), former students (including graduates), family members of current students or employees, and community members are NOT eligible for vaccines at the Health Center. These individuals should register with county health departments, pharmacies, and other approved vaccine sites to receive their vaccinations.