When the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) is closed, and you don't know how to treat a medical issue or how severe it could be, you can use a telehealth option for guidance. UNT students have a few different options, mostly based on their medical insurance.
- Students enrolled in the student insurance plan can use the 24-hour telehealth line at (855) 355-7998 for free medical advice from doctors or other medical providers.
- Students enrolled in other health insurance plans should consult the back of their insurance card for medical advice options. These options could be with nurses, doctors, or other medical providers.
- All students, regardless of insurance coverage, may call Parkland’s Nurse Call Line at (214) 266-8777 free of charge for nurse consultations 24/7.
If you find yourself in need of medical treatment when we are closed, you can visit 24-hour pharmacies, minor emergency clinics, freestanding Emergency Rooms, or a local hospital of your choice. In the Denton area, you can choose from the following options. These facilities are not associated with the SHWC and are therefore not covered by student fees. Please contact each facility for pricing information and to determine if your health insurance is accepted. If unsure which option is best for your needs, you may use a nurse call line option listed above or call 911 for a medical emergency.
24-hours Pharmacies- You should use a 24-hour pharmacy for over-the-counter medications for home care and for filling prescriptions when the UNT Pharmacy is closed.
- CVS Pharmacy on University Drive: (940) 387-9549
- Walgreen’s Pharmacy on University Drive: (940) 384-0240
Minor Emergency Clinics- You should use a minor emergency clinic if your issue is non-life-threatening but cannot wait for the SHWC to reopen. Please note these facilities will NOT treat concussions/head injuries or perform MRI services or perform surgeries.
- Care Now Rayzor Ranch: (940) 220-5901
- Minor Emergency of Denton: (940) 220-3224
- Pediatric Urgent Care of Denton: (817) 750-7334 (Select Denton Clinic when prompted for patients under age 22)
Freestanding Emergency Room (ER)- You should use a freestanding ER if your issue is life-threatening but likely will not require admission to a hospital.
- Code 3 Emergency Room at Denton: (940) 514-8120
- Medical City ER Flower Mound: (972) 420-4911
- Surepoint Emergency Center: (940)218-6712
- City Hospital Emergency Care Center - Lewisville: (469) 312-3660
Area Hospitals- You should use a hospital if your issue is life-threatening and could possibly require admission to a hospital.