• How do I make an appointment?

    You can make an appointment for medical services by calling (940) 565-2333, option 2, or online at MyOSH.unt.edu. Appointments are available Monday through Thursday, 8 am to 4:40 pm, and Friday, 9:30 am to 4:40 pm. Not all appointments can be made through the patient portal due to extra information needed for the appointment. If you try to schedule online and your appointment reason is not available, please call.

    If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call at least an hour ahead of your scheduled appointment time, or you will be charged a no-show fee. You can call the cancellation line at (940) 565-2793 or cancel on the patient portal. Canceling in advance allows another student to use your appointment time.

  • What should I bring to my appointment?

    Please bring your student ID card, health insurance card, and a form of payment. 

  • Where are you located?

    The SHWC clinic is located on the second floor of Chestnut Hall. For appointments and medical services, please check in through the main reception area. To make payments, or for billing or insurance questions, you can go to the Payment Window on the second floor next to the Clinic's exit doors. 

  • Are counseling services available for students at the SHWC?

    The SHWC does not provide counseling services; however, Counseling and Testing Services (CTS) provides short-term counseling services to students to ensure ongoing wellness. Students seeking these resources should contact CTS at (940) 565-2741. The Counseling Center is located in Chestnut Hall, 3rd Floor, Suite 311.

  • Where can I go for disability access services help?

    The Office of Disability Access is located in Sage Hall, Suite 167, (940) 565-4323.

  • Where can I go for birth control?

    You can make an appointment with the SHWC Clinic for a birth control consultation with a medical provider to find the best option.

  • How do I get tested for STDs/STIs/HIV?

    The SHWC offers the option of walk-in STD testing, where students can get tested without an appointment. Students experiencing symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease should make an appointment at the SHWC to determine testing and treatment options. Free testing is also available at various points throughout the semester through the Mean Green Screen.

  • How do I request a Health Education presentation?

    The Meadows Center for Health Resources, the health education department of the SHWC, provides more than just one-on-one services. Student groups, classrooms, and Greek organizations can invite the Meadows Center to provide programming on a wide variety of health and wellness issues. All programs are free and can include risky behaviors, sexual assault and dating violence, nutrition, fitness, wellness, sexual responsibility, sexually transmitted infections, birth control, women's health, stress, and more! For more information, or to request programming, call (940) 565-2787, email meadowscenter@unt.edu, or visit us in Chestnut Hall, suite 301.

  • Does UNT offer Student Health Insurance?

    Yes.  UNT students are eligible for the University-endorsed United Healthcare Student Resources insurance plan.  

    As a condition of admission, UNT requires all non-immigrant international students to maintain medical/hospitalization insurance for the entire period of their UNT residence. The student insurance fee is automatically added to the student's tuition, and fees bill each semester unless the student provides alternate coverage and requests a waiver of the insurance fee. 

  • Are you open late or on the weekend?

    We do not have any late or weekend hours. If you have an urgent issue, dial 911 or go to your local emergency room or urgent care center. A few local options are listed on our hours page. 

  • Do I get excused from class for being sick?

    Per UNT policy, the SHWC does not provide students with medical excuses from class unless the patient is being treated for a potentially contagious illness that may pose a health risk to other students, faculty, or staff; or for an injury when the student is enrolled in a physical education activity class.  For all other instances, you can request a statement that you were seen at the clinic to show to your professor at check-out. Protected Health Information is not included in these statements.

  • Will my insurance pay for my office visit?

    If you have the University-endorsed student insurance policy, the SHWC is considered an in-network provider, and most charges are covered. 

    The SHWC also files to many BCBS, UHC, Cigna, Aetna, Multiplan, and PHCS plans. If you have questions concerning your insurance, please call us at (940) 369-5446 or email us at SHWCinsurance@unt.edu.

  • What if I am concerned about the cost of services at the SHWC?

    Students concerned about paying for services at the SHWC are encouraged to contact the SHWC Billing and Insurance department at (940) 369-5446 to discuss options.

  • Is my medical information confidential at the SHWC?

    The SHWC maintains patient confidentiality of medical records as required by federal, state, and local laws.  The SHWC will not share confidential information without patient consent, with few exceptions.  Parents and guardians of minors will be allowed access to certain patient information until the patient turns 18.  SHWC staff are legally required to disclose information to protect individuals from imminent danger, report abuse, or respond to legal subpoenas.